OLED Innovation Chemist
March 21, 2022
Universal Display Corporation (UDC) is a global leader in the invention, research, development and commercialization of state-of-the-art OLED technologies and materials.
UDC is headquartered in the United States with subsidiaries in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, China, and Ireland. Our international team of scientists, engineers and business professionals perform leading-edge technology development, fabricate engineering prototypes, and engage in technology transfer with a variety of research, manufacturing, and product development partners to promote the adoption of our proprietary OLED technologies and materials. We work with the largest consumer display panel manufacturers in the world. Our proprietary technologies and materials can be found in virtually every commercial OLED product in the world, from smartwatches and tablets, to smartphones and TVs, including Samsung’s Galaxy series and LG’s OLED TVs.
Universal Display Corporation offers excellent career opportunities for those who thrive on cutting-edge research and development and have the drive to contribute directly to the success of the company. The technical team at UDC is a multi-disciplinary team that spans from organic materials’ experts to innovative display designers.
The OLED Innovation Chemist will work under the supervision of the Senior Director, Corporate IP Technology to support the company’s business and research activities. This role will partner with our R&D teams to assist in the development of patent applications to protect our Intellectual Property. This includes analyzing competitors’ patent landscape; identifying/inventing patentable inventions; securing high quality patents; developing patent strategies and working with the R&D organization to understand priorities and challenges.
- Work closely with R&D chemists to drive the innovation process
- Organize and participate in brainstorming sections, evaluate the impact of the invention in view of the technology as a whole
- Perform prior art searching, evaluate qualification and applicability of prior art
- Draft new patent applications with minimal help from the inventors
- Provide technical advice to the legal team members and interact with outside counsel when needed
- Other responsibilities and key result areas will be assigned as required
- PhD in chemistry or related field
- Demonstrated rich research experience in OLED material synthesis and characterization, especially in the organometallic light emitting material area.
- Strong understanding of chemistry and their use in OLED devices
- Strong communication skills to work closely with R&D teams
- Have some basic patent law knowledge
- Experience using a variety of search engines and databases, for example, SciFinder, USPTO, WIPO, EPO database systems, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in ChemDraw structure drawing, highly proficient in MS Office to manipulate large tables
- Creative and diligent literature searching skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal direction
- Ability to connect scientific details of research projects with patentability considerations
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Willing to switch the career from an OLED chemist to a Patent Agent, but still focus on the technical side; encourage to take the U.S. Patent Office patent agent examination with the USPTO within the first six to twelve months of employment; a current registered Patent Agent is a plus
To apply, please email your resume to email@example.com.